The cottage not only houses the Museum’s collection but is itself the major exhibit.
It is constructed of corrugated iron laid on a timber frame. At one time the use of corrugated iron in this way was quite common for houses and other types of buildings such as churches, chapels and schools.
The sales brochure for the building (which is retained in the archives) describes a similar dwelling erected for a Mrs Petre of Norfolk as follows:
“This convenient cottage is constructed of strong deal framing, covered on the outside with Galvanised Corrugated Iron, lined inside with varnished match-boarding, sheet felted between the wood and the iron, strong wood floor, eaves, gutters, down pipes, locks and window fasteners included. Outside woodwork painted three coats. Windows glazed with 21 oz glass. Carriage paid to nearest railway station. Erected by our men on purchaser’s own light brick-work foundation, he providing assistant labour. Cash price about £246”.
The bungalow was extended sometime about the year 1890 to provide more living space.